Pages

Friday, 21 July 2017

UNCOVERED FLESH, COLD HEARTS


A few years ago Chris and I were trying out new churches...we attended one where there were cafe type settings to sit at and drinks and food were able to be eaten and drunk while the service was in progress. The music was great and there was a very relaxed atmosphere...too relaxed for Chris and I.. The senior pastor's wife, clad only in a short-really short- pair of shorts and a tube top that showed her midriff, sat on a chair with her knees under her chin... I can still recall the glance Chris gave me, with his eyebrows up- I know that look well... it's The Look when something has offended him....

A deacon went forward to the pulpit to announce some things, and this time it was my turn to give Chris The Look... you know the one- where the mouth goes into a prim line... the Queen Victoria "we are not amused look"  Sisters, I tell you the truth, this man's shorts were positively indecent... skimpy to the point of me wanting to close my eyes.... he was nearly falling out of them... But things got worse...the aforementioned pastor's wife got up and proceeded to lead the Communion service, with her navel clearly visible and her perky body parts pushing through her tight tube top... Chris was uncomfortable and looked at me quizzically, I nodded in agreement with him.  We don't have to speak to know what each other is thinking...

At the end of the service, I went to the pastor for anointing with oil and prayer as I was waiting for a hospital bed for my heart  stents and I was told that I could possibly die whilst I waited... we are uninsured... I was further taken aback when he refused to get the oil as it was "only a token" and called some young people to pray for me....explaining to them that "this lady has a bad heart and is afraid she will pop her cork!"  Again Chris gave me The Look, and I would have left except it seemed inappropriate to leave before I was prayed for.. Needless to say, we never returned.

Now even though I joked about the "Queen Victoria Look",  I am not a prudish person, but I do believe in modest dressing, especially in church. Even more so, the Senior Pastor's wife should have known better. And what of her husband? Shouldn't he have insisted his wife cover herself? especially when leading a communion service... and what about their deacon- he should have been told to wear decent shorts at least. But I guess if the Senior Pastors don't worry, he certainly wouldn't...

I can't help but think that these two Church planters were more interested in being seen as being "hip" and with it to their younger congregation than honouring the LORD in how they dressed.  And his refusal to anoint me with oil and pray for me was offensive to me... obviously at my age and with being  an obese blow in from who-knows-where, I wasn't very important to him or "his" church....

When we go to church, Chris and I want to feel important/treasured  enough to be prayed for...we do not want to be laughed at when or if we ask for prayer in a time of personal trouble or sickness... If I ask to be anointed with oil, I want to be anointed and it doesn't have to be the Senior Pastor, but someone within the church with the authority of that church to do it...

I want at least to feel respected, even if I am just a visitor, and I was left with the distinct feeling that day that maybe...just maybe, they didn't really respect the LORD in their hearts, just with their words..  If the leadership of that church covered themselves properly, we wouldn't have felt that we should keep our eyes covered..  Let there be propriety and decency in all things pertaining to our LORD..

© Glenys Robyn Hicks

Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing [as] they go, and making a tinkling with their feet: Therefore the Lord will smite with a scab the crown of the head of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover their secret parts. Isaiah 3:16-17

17 comments:

  1. As a pastor's wife, and more importantly, a christian who believes God's Word to be true, I am absolutely mortified at the lack of reverence and honor to the Lord that was given there.

    We are not to be conformed to the world, but be transformed by the renewing of our minds.

    This is clearly a case of serious conformity to worldly standards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Michelle! I am not the type of woman to put a pastor's wife on a pedestal... however, as you know, more is expected of them... I did expect more from her especially in the area of modesty. And I did expect more of her husband in the area of reverence and honour to God... yes, serious conformity to worldly standards! Thanks for sharing tea again today!

      Delete
  2. Wow! We've never been to a church that was that bad, but we did leave on because of the inappropriate attire of the women in the congregation. My husband is surrounded by scantily clad women all week, he would much prefer to not have to deal with it in God's house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, This church was one of a group which brings a lot of people into God's Kingdom... however, I feel that they shouldn't lose sight of their purpose and Who they are serving... He is a holy God Who deserves respect. I can well imagine your husband being sick of seeing scantily dressed women- he deserves a break at church. Thanks for sharing tea with me today! Blessings!

      Delete
  3. I am often surprised at what the young girls are wearing - outfits better suited for a party or picnic not for the House of the Lord. People use to dress up their "Sunday Best" because it show how important it was to them - now people just don't see it as important so I wonder if they think the "Word" is that important too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. People in general don't seem to care about their clothing these days... it does make you wonder about their attitude to the Word when they dress immodestly at church- or any place for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenys, this is a very sad testimony. I am sorry you experienced such a lack of empathy and respect at a time when you needed comfort and encouragement. I am saddened too by the lack of 'modesty' and disregard for the Word of God regarding such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indicative of this particular denomination.... they are on fire for the LORD, but are very choosy who fits in to their idea of a christian.... obviously I wasn't of any particular interest to them....I can understand that, seeing as I was older, obese and ill, but I don't accept their attitude. Moreover, lack of modesty such as we saw can turn people off going to church... I had to convince Chris that this was not the norm... and Wendy-it took a lot of convincing a man used to Church of England! (He is English) Thanks for sharing tea with me again today! Blessings!

      Delete
  6. It is so annoying and bothersome to me the lack of reverence I see in churches these days. We are attending one with lots of immodestly dressed women right now (not my choice). I think there should come a time that women are taken aside in the church and asked to dress more appropriately, or at least the pastor should preach on these subjects so that new believers (or old) have no excuse of lack of knowledge for causing others to stumble. It is certainly not "loving others" to cause them to sin by your dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady Violet, that would be a good idea, only these people may be turned off coming to Christ. However, perhaps something in a news bulletin at the door would help? A dress code perhaps? The Orthodox Christian and Greek Orthodox Churches have a dress code and you are asked to leave if you have uncovered arms and head if a lady. I believe the Catholic Church is calling for more modest dress as well.... Thanks for taking tea with me today.

      Delete
  7. I agree, Glenys. I'm not prudish, but I do believe in modesty. At our church, we can dress casually, but the way they were dressed is taking it to the extreme. And does the pastor read his Bible? How does he explain the passage in James about the elders of the church annointing and praying for those who are sick?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Joan they try to show that you can come as you are and encourage casual dress... now I agree that non believers should not be turned away because of their choice of dress... but this was, as you say, taking it to the extreme. I must point out that not everyone was dressed (undressed?) as they were, but seeing it at the top level, so to speak- it was a shocker! I was so disappointed that in faith I went forward to be anointed according to James, and didn't get a look even at the eldership, but a couple of teenagers from Youth Alive or whatever they called it... Yet, people are coming to the LORD through their ministry, so I must be careful not to put the boot in.... just so disappointing to me at a time I really needed the church!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AMEN! We've been church hunting the last couple of years and the lack of modesty at so many churches is astounding. Thankfully we found a great church and will be joining it in the next couple of weeks. As a mom of boys, the way the young and teen girls dress at church is important to me, because these are the girls my boys could someday marry.

    Thanks for participating in Feminine Friday last week! I'd love for you to come back again this week! http://susangodfrey.com/making-clothing-more-modest-feminine-friday-link-up-party/

    Blessings!
    Susan Godfrey
    http://www.susangodfrey.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it could be indicative of the type of woman these girls are possibly going to become... however, keep in mind that girls can be convicted later on to be modest. It is difficult if their mothers aren't modest- they most likely would follow suit. So important for the older Christian women to set a good example. Isn't church hunting a pain? I am so glad you have finally found a church you are happy in... Thanks for taking tea with me, Susan. I will come share a cuppa at your place soon! Blessings!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...