Pages

Tuesday, 27 June 2017

LETTING IT GO



I have suffered from panic attacks and anxiety since a young child. Occasionally, they still come to strike me on the heel, and usually they come out of the blue and take me by surprise..

Over the years, I have learned to respond to them by total relaxation which allows the adrenaline to leave my body. To help my Sisters who may be similarly afflicted, I will share how I relax my body and get rid of the adrenaline..
Firstly, try to turn off the phone, TV and other distractions. 

Lie down, preferably on your bed. 
Grind your backside into your mattress until you feel that your lower spine is relaxed. 
Raise your legs and drop them and move your legs until they feel relaxed. 
Lift your arms and let them drop like a dead weight. 
Relax your fingers and shrug your shoulders. 
Roll your head from side to side until it rests comfortably. 
Jut your jaw out and make chewing motions. 
Close your mouth and try not to clench your jaw or grind your teeth.
Take a deep breath, drawing it into the bottom of your lungs.
Slowly let it out like a long sighhhh.
If you notice you are clenching or tightening your muscles or jaw, relax them.
Try to keep the breathing slow and rhythmic and concentrate on that alone.

If you are successful the adrenaline rush should dissipate and mine comes out through my feet. Do not panic if it feels cold. Do not panic if your nose, face or lips feel tingly like pins and needles... it will dissipate with the oxygen levels coming normal again.
If there is no bad pain in your heart but it is palpitating, do not worry... it will normalise as well as soon as you get control of the adrenaline levels..

Many symptoms of panic are brought on purely by an adrenaline rush and most times it will normalise as you relax and breathe regularly and slowly. As I said, I sing to help that. Worship songs are the best because they usually calm the spirit.
It is comforting to know, if you simply can't regulate your breathing that you will not die. You may faint. But panic attacks don't kill you. You just feel like you are dying at the time... until you get control again...

  © Glenys Robyn Hicks

Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book? Psalm 56:8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...