Sunday, 12 February 2017

SO WHAT'S WITH THE SPOONS?



Because chronic illness brings a need to pace oneself to avoid burnout or bringing on a flare of our illness, you will find the saying "spoons" used quite a lot here.

Trying to explain an invisible illness and this need to pace oneself and conserve energy, is difficult. Christine Miserandino has written  the Spoon Theory.  It is a wonderful analogy of pacing and energy conservation written in a way that people who don't suffer from a chronic illness can understand.

I cannot publish it here so I have provided the link back to her article.

Today, I am still feeling unwell and have to use my limited spoons sparingly, I must get dressed and tidy the house for Lee to come. There are a few baskets of washing ready to be folded and put away and these are littering up the floor in our walk in robe. She won't be able to vacuum if I don't sort that out.  And I have to unload the dishwasher from last night and reload it with the breakfast things.

Our cats have made a mess of their bowls and spilt their Whiskas dry food over the kitchen floor, I have to clean that because I can't expect her to clean up after my pets. I haven't even got dressed yet.

I can see it is going to be one of those days where I wake with a shortfall of spoons! But I need to push myself a bit.... yes, I am resisting going back to bed! But as they say, the fairy godmother's not coming! I am IT!


© Glenys Robyn Hicks

I love you, LORD, my strength. Psalm 18:1b

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jenn. My health is a daily struggle. But thanks for your kind comment. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...