Pages

Saturday, 12 November 2016

EVEN SO IT'S ENOUGH FOR ME!


When it comes to doing household chores, there is often more than one way to do it. The creative sacrificial home keeper will improvise or modify in order to do a job with the least amount of energy and pain.  As shared, my health is now such that I can no longer clean my floors or bathrooms, but have cleaning lady to come and do those...even so, I find cleaning my home difficult and what I have still to do, painful and exhausting.  She has only been here a few times, but this is how I managed without her...

I have modified scrubbing my kitchen floor and cleaning my bath and shower. I cannot extend much energy because of bringing on an angina attack or causing my muscles to cramp on me, and because of spinal problems, kneeling is impossible. So I have come up with a rather unorthodox method of doing them.

For my kitchen floor, I get a bucket of hot water with floor cleaning agent in it. I dip my kitchen broom into the water, shake the excess water off and use that to scrub. If something is stubborn, I splash some extra water onto it and move on to another area. After a minute or so, I return to that spot and it usually lifts off easily. When I am satisfied that an area is clean, I grab an old towel, throw it on the floor and walk on it, soaking up the water as I walk. Unorthodox, yes, but very effective!

For my bath, I fill it with about 3 inches of water to which I add some washing detergent. I swish around the edges with my (washed) kitchen broom and allow it to soak for a few minutes. The broom then becomes a long-handled scrubbing brush as I scrub the bath and edges, dipping it in the soapy water as I go. It is then an easy matter to rinse it down with a jug of water. The bath gleams and I am not even puffing with the effort bringing on an asthma or angina attack!

If you have enough energy and feel like it, you can wet your shower stall and use the broom to scrub the glass doors etc, taking care not to slip! Then you can just spray them down. Also, another easy way to maintain a glass shower stall is to give it a quick wash down with shampoo whist you are in the shower: shampoo acts on the soap scum and is a pleasant way to clean. At least it doesn't effect your breathing: breathing in harsh cleaners is never fun especially for the asthmatic!

If you make it a habit to swish your toilet bowl each morning or more frequently if required, it never really needs deep- down, heavy -duty, heart-stopping, back-breaking scrubbing. And a quick swish to get tooth paste out of hand basins and from around tap fittings doesn't take much energy or time: and it saves heaps on both further down the track.

I follow my monthly cleaning schedule now, I can see at a glance what needs to be done. I use these methods I have shared with you, to do it. Most times my home is company ready and basically clean where it counts the most.

By using the schedule, I find it saves me from having to think and plan too much- the planning has already been done. I find this most helpful when I have a fibromyalgia brain fog day or when my tablets are causing me to feel like I am thinking with a brain made of cotton wool.

I shop online occasionally, but I find this is an expensive way of doing it. However, if it's the difference between doing it or going hungry, then I use the online method. 

We sacrificial home keepers have to try to keep the home fires burning: if we use unorthodox methods, what does it matter? As long as we can manage and the job gets done, I don't see a problem! I pray some of these things may be of help to you and I hope that if you have any tips (no matter how unorthodox) that you will please share them with us. 


© Glenys Robyn Hicks




So teach [us] to number our days, That we may gain a heart of wisdom.  Psalm 90:12

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for these tips. I may put some of them to use, or find something similar that works for me. I can't use cleaners with harsh scents either because they tend to make me feel sick and/or get a migraine. I sometimes wash the shower with shampoo and bath puff made from netting (I don't use them on my skin!).

    I've used recycled rags for a long time (old socks, t-shirts, dish towels, etc.), but recently my husband bought me some microfiber rags and I have found that they clean better - they pick up the dirt better and hold more or it. This is an investment, but it actually makes the work go a little quicker and easier, which is worth it for me. My husband got a large package of them at Costco. I think they were advertised for cleaning cars as the main use. :-)

    I do some shopping online, but my husband does most of our grocery shopping at Costco for me, which is a great help. However, recently I discovered the advantages of shopping for a gift or gifts for someone far away through Amazon.com. Having things wrapped is an extra expense, which is optional, but the main advantage is that I don't have to purchase the item(s), wrap up a package, and get to the postal office to mail it. It made life a lot easier, though it might be a little more expensive. (I haven't tried an overseas package yet, so I don't know how the postage on that will be.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might try some microfibre rags too. Thanks for the tip and thank you for commenting today. Glenys

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...