Pages

Wednesday, 23 November 2016

A STITCH IN TIME SAVES NINE


My Mother often quotes the old proverb, "A stitch in time saves nine!" I have been a procrastinator in the past, and lately this has been coming back into my thoughts. Especially as a sufferer of fibromyalgia. Pacing oneself to avoid a flare can often become procrastination. And the work snowballs.

I have found that in order for life not to go haywire, it is imperative that we do our tasks as they present themselves, not when we get around to it. Otherwise, it will soon become overwhelming. Here are a few of my thoughts on "a stitch in time saving nine".

*If the stove is dirty, clean it now before it becomes impossibly difficult to do. What may have needed only a cloth or sponge down soon will need a jack-hammer.

*Dishes should at least be soaked if there is no time or in a fibromite's case, no energy, to wash them soon after a meal is finished. Otherwise the food will have hardened and you will end up expending far more energy in cleaning them than is necessary

*Bins should be emptied before they overflow onto the floor.

*Floors should be kept swept clean or else you will trample the dirt into carpeted areas and this will make both scrubbing the floors and vacuuming the carpets more time and energy consuming.

*Toilets should be swished before it needs extra scrubbing.

*Clothes should be folded as soon as possible after they are dried. A handful of clothes to fold and put away is not as daunting as 2 days' worth to do.

It is easier to keep up with your chores than to have to catch up. A stitch in time does save nine!

© Glenys Robyn Hicks


Psalm 90:12 So teach [us] to number our days, that we may apply [our] hearts unto wisdom.

7 comments:

  1. Amen! It's so very true that tasks become much more daunting and time consuming when we procrastinate. I really hate when I let my kitchen get like that, because it's the one room in the house that I spend the most time. And when the kitchen looks like a big daunting task, I avoid going in there to cook, so we'll eat out = NO GOOD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, I know that daunting feeling well... I like the feeling of control that having a clean kitchen brings. It is true that as the kitchen goes, so does the rest of the home! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Glenys,
    I have been a procrastinator. My intentions were good but quite often I didn't follow through, however over the last little while I have slowly started to change and God gave me the word DISCIPLINE for this year. I'm finding if I stay with this word and write my list of what needs to be achieved I get through my jobs. One thing though, I must stay in His peace as I potter away, getting stressed by what I have to get done throws me into chaos. I love my home and I love to have it clean and tidy, not perfect as that brings disharmony. I don't want to be a nagging wife so I do put up with boots left at the door etc. I'm enjoying your writings and will copy your lists into my journal as ther is so much wisdom in those words.
    Blessings Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I totally agree with your post although I am a quintessential procrastinator too. Just this weekend I found myself scrubbing with all my might at the burned on food on my stove top eyes. YUCK! Still despite all the scrubbing, I couldn't get it all off. If I would just clean up the mess when I make it instead of waiting for months on end, then I wouldn't have had such a struggle with it. Great illustration of a proverb that I never really knew what to make of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gail, I am a recovering procrastinator, so I know exactly what you are saying. I really enjoy the feeling of being in control of my house, not it dictating to me that it needs cleaning etc. I am glad you are enjoying our chats.

    Keri, just nodding my head in agreement! LOL

    Blessings to you both and thanks for commenting today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wise words Glenys. I have a routine, where washed clothing is hung on hangers to dry, thus eliminating ironing (mostly), and anything needing folding, is folded before another load is washed. Floors are swept and the carpet sweeper swished over rugs daily, and beds are made immediately upon rising. This means that we feel organised, no matter what else happens. You're right. It's a good feeling. A wonderful post. Love, Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea to avoid ironing... I will start doing that with Chris's shirts. Thanks for sharing that, Mimi xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...