Tuesday, 8 November 2016

A DAY OF REFLECTION


Recently I celebrated my 63rd birthday. I am getting old now, much closer to 70 than to 60. It is a sobering thought. The Bible says our life span is 70 years... give or take a few. So that gives me maybe 7 years of productivity still. God willing.

I have been joking about being 63 as not worthy of celebrating, but I know in my heart that I am glad that I have had the privilege of living that long: especially with all the health problems I have.  I am sitting here thanking the LORD for my life. All of it- good and bad!

It's sometimes tradition on birthdays to evaluate your life.... What have I achieved in nearly 6 .5 decades of living? What do I want to achieve? Where is my life heading? What things are key in my life in regards to importance and eternity? What changes can I make to live better and cherish that which I do hold dear? Quite a lot to think on really.

As I sit and reflect, I know that I have to make some changes in my life as regards growing closer to the LORD, and memorising scripture better. I have to seriously build myself up physically as well whilst trimming a lot of excess avoir du pois off my truly small frame.

I realise that I can only make changes by repenting of a lot of negative thinking and attitudes that have gathered like moss on a stone. And by clinging to the LORD, for I know that without Him as the foundation, I can achieve nothing of eternal value.

One thing to reflect on is one that makes me content. I am basically living a good Christian life. I found that out when I was misdiagnosed with a terminal disease 8 years ago. You have got to believe me when I say that a person who believes they are dying questions what is important in their life and tries to make amends where it is lacking! I didn't have to change anything! I believe our sanctification is ongoing...I am far from perfect and there are some weeds in my garden that need to be pulled. I have far to go in some things..

Yes, today is a day for reflection as well as thanks for the great gift of life!

© Glenys Robyn Hicks

So teach [us] to number our days, that we may apply [our] hearts unto wisdom. Psalm 90:12

10 comments:

  1. Yes, I have just turned 59 myself. Sobering. My husband is already over 60. In the last year and a half, 4 of my friends have lost their husbands, and another is about to lose hers unless the doctors can help, and I'm praying for him. Our cousin-in-law also died 4 years ago, and he was our friend in school. Several of my classmates have already passed on, as have several of my husbands. Yes, it makes you think. Our main impetus is getting our sons launched, as we will not be around forever. I don't think I'd change much over my life. And, yes, thank God our sanctification -- while it was instantaneous at salvation -- continues day by day and is ongoing (sometimes it seems as if we go backward, when we hit a snag), as Christ ever perfects holiness in us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellie Rae, I have lost a friend who was 3 weeks younger than myself... Chris is hearing of friends passing in England- friends he has grown up with. Like you, we are focusing on our children and grandchildren. I am earnestly seeking to build a deeper relationship with them and their parents, and to show them that Christ is the only Way unto salvation.... so far 2 of my grandchildren have come to the LORD. All of my children have. I wake up each morning and thank the LORD for bringing me through another night and giving me another day... I do not get depressed about aging, but I do sense a certain urgency to live better and to make sure that I do not waste something that is irreplaceable and of great value- time!

      Delete
  2. Hmmm. I've passed the threescore and ten by a few months. Based on family actuarial data, I may have another ten, God willing. Today is a good time for reflection at any age, for none of us know what tomorrow might bring. The best reflection has to do with God, in our lives and in His word that we might always reflect Him. Very good devotional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phyllis, usually I try not to focus on how long I may have to live, as it can lead to fear or depression. However, that is not to say that I am afraid of going to be with the LORD, it is just that I still have work to do for Him here... having said that, I must confess that I do dwell on the manner of my death and that promotes fear, so I try to take those thoughts into captivity of Christ. It all comes down to clinging to Him and trusting His Word.... I guess that's what I would like to pass on by writing about some of my life's events that could be seen as negative.... but God has bought me through. I love to share that with my Sisters here..

      Delete
  3. QUOTE: "...I do not get depressed about aging, but I do sense a certain urgency to live better and to make sure that I do not waste something that is irreplaceable and of great value - time!"

    Yes, this is how I feel too as I get older Gelnys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am some way of this, but I do think about getting older and I'm not keen on it. Perhaps because I see my mother and her poor health and I don't want to go through all that. Silly perhaps as we all get old and frail. But to be honest, my future is in the Lords hands and at least I know they are very safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was misdiagnosed with a dementia type illness, I was afraid that I wouldn't remember the LORD.... during prayer, He spoke to my heart and told me that He knew me, and really that is all that mattered! It gave me such peace. It's no good wasting today with anxieties about aging and dying, because we ruin our present and state of mind. There is, short of the Rapture, no way we can escape aging and dying... whatever God has for us, as you said, we are in His Hands and they are very safe! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...