Wednesday, 4 May 2016

FAR TOO RELAXED FOR US!


A few years ago Chris and I were trying out new churches...we attended one where there were cafe type settings to sit at and drinks and food were able to be eaten and drunk while the service was in progress. The music was great and there was a very relaxed atmosphere...too relaxed for Chris and I..

The senior pastor's wife, clad only in a short-really short- pair of shorts and a tube top that showed her midriff, sat on a chair with her knees under her chin... I can still recall the glance Chris gave me, with his eyebrows up- I know that look well... it's The Look when something has offended him....


A deacon went forward to the pulpit to announce some things, and this time it was my turn to give Chris The Look... you know the one- where the mouth goes into a prim line... the Queen Victoria "we are not amused look" Sisters, I tell you the truth, this man's shorts were positively indecent... skimpy to the point of me wanting to close my eyes.... he was nearly falling out of them...

But things got worse...the aforementioned pastor's wife got up and proceeded to lead the Communion service, with her navel clearly visible and her perky body parts pushing through her tight tube top... Chris was uncomfortable and looked at me quizzically, I nodded in agreement with him. We don't have to speak to know what each other is thinking...

Again Chris gave me The Look, and I would have left except it seemed inappropriate to leave before I was prayed for.. Needless to say, we never returned.

Now even though I joked about the "Queen Victoria Look", I am not a prudish person, but I do believe in modest dressing, especially in church. Even more so, the Senior Pastor's wife should have known better. And what of her husband? Shouldn't he have insisted his wife cover herself? especially when leading a communion service... and what about their deacon- he should have been told to wear decent shorts at least. But I guess if the Senior Pastors don't worry, he certainly wouldn't..

At the end of the service, I went to the pastor for anointing with oil and prayer as I was waiting for a hospital bed for my heart stents and I was told that I could possibly die whilst I waited... we are uninsured... I was further taken aback when he refused to get the oil as it was "only a token" and called some young people to pray for me....explaining to them that "this lady has a bad heart and is afraid she will pop her cork!" 

I can't help but think that these two Church planters were more interested in being seen as being "hip" and with it to their younger congregation than honouring the LORD in how they dressed. And his refusal to anoint me with oil and pray for me was offensive to me... obviously at my age and with being an obese blow in from who-knows-where, I wasn't very important to him or "his" church....

When we go to church, Chris and I want to feel important/treasured enough to be prayed for...we do not want to be laughed at when or if we ask for prayer in a time of personal trouble or sickness... If I ask to be anointed with oil, I want to be anointed and it doesn't have to be the Senior Pastor, but someone within the church with the authority of that church to do it...

I want at least to feel respected, even if I am just a visitor, and I was left with the distinct feeling that day that maybe...just maybe, they didn't really respect the LORD in their hearts, just with their words..

If the leadership of that church covered themselves properly, we wouldn't have felt that we should keep our eyes covered.. Let there be propriety and decency in all things pertaining to our LORD..

© Glenys Robyn Hicks

Moreover the LORD saith, Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing [as] they go, and making a tinkling with their feet: Isaiah 3:16  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...