Pages

Saturday, 3 December 2016

LOVING THE SINNER NOT THE SIN


Visiting hour had come at the large Melbourne hospital where I lay recovering from heart surgery to clear my main heart arteries with 3 stents. 

Waiting for Chris, I noticed a tall man with an overnight bag enter the ward and make his way to a man in the bed opposite mine. The patient who was awaiting a heart valve replacement, broke into a grin. Awkwardly, the men glanced over to my bed. I feigned interest in watching the overhead TV.  One of my interests is to watch people, and real life is far more interesting than the rubbish on TV! 

Being in a shared room of 6, there is no way one can really have a private conversation, so I was privy to a touching scene of love and care wrapped in a package of homosexuality.  I realised that when I saw the men kissing and the visitor holding the patient's hand.

The love between the two men was tangible. Even the conversation was typical of a hetero-sexual couple, indeed it was the general stuff of making sure your partner had clean nightwear and taking the laundry home. I later became friendly with Patient Man and even his partner In fact, I liked them.

Once again, I was faced with the dilemma of how to interact with  homosexuals as Christ would.  I have come to believe that responding to them with the love of Christ is how He would treat them.  It is a path I take. 

Make no mistake, homosexuality is a sin, and one which Christ does not condone.  Neither do I, but like Jesus, I love the sinner and not the sin. Homosexuality is not normal, no matter how much they try to indoctrinate us with their beliefs.  

Do I believe in same-sex marriage? you ask.  No. Marriage from the very beginning was the union between a man and a woman. God Himself performed the first marriage in the Garden of Eden and then told Adam and Eve to multiply and be fruitful. If it were to include same-sex marriage, He would have told us so...

I expect that I will cop some flack for posting that I actually like the homosexuals who have come my way. That's OK. Jesus wasn't homophobic and neither am I. But in saying that, I am compelled to add, that nevertheless, homosexuality is not godly or normal.... but in all cases, we are called to love the sinner not the sin..

Homosexuality can be forgiven if the life-style is abandoned and of course, after repentance. If we don't bring Christian love to them, how are they ever going to feel acceptable?  If they can't feel acceptable in society, they can't feel bold enough to approach the Throne of Grace and be cleansed of their sin!

Let's not act as a pharisee and walk on the other side of the street if one approaches, but let us treat homosexuals as any other people of the world. With compassion. With respect. With Christian love.  We are to imitate Christ and walk in His shoes. And pray-For a change of heart of the homosexuals. For our government to stand firm against same-sex marriage. For our schools to stop trying to teach our children that homosexuality is just a life-style choice. 

But let's also pray for ourselves to have a godly Christian response to homosexuals. We can do nothing else but emulate our Saviour and love the sinner, not the sin.

© Glenys Robyn Hicks


Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw [it], he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman [this is] that toucheth him: for she is a sinner. Luke 7:39

26 comments:

  1. I hear you, Glenys. Good post. They're in darkness like a lot of people. I don't approve of harming them or making fun of them publicly. That is counter-productive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ellie they are in darkness.... and most of them live in guilt because innately they know that their choice of lifestyle is a sinful one...

      Delete
  2. Totally in agreement with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've worked with several men who were homosexuals and this is a shame to say, but often they were nicer to talk with then some of the "Christian heterosexual men" that I've worked with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of the nicest people I have met have been homosexual. However, the Bible condones their lifestyle although Christ deeply loves the person caught in this sin. I hate it when people look down their noses at people who are ensnared by this sin. They need to be shown the love of Christ to help to win them to Christ.

    Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "However, the Bible condones their lifestyle" I think you meant condemns.... It is important that they are lost people. They need Jesus too. Blessings!

      Delete
  5. I also work with a homosexual man (I don't think he has a partner) - who is the nicest man I know, a real gentleman and as Judi says, is much nicer than some other men I have worked with. He will go out of his way to help and is so kind. And I must say that I feel no threat being with him as I know he isn't go to flirting etc. I have no reason to dislike him, just saddened of the path he has taken and pray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is sad... that's what I feel about it too.

      Delete
  6. It is another challenge for we who profess the name of Christ. We have taken the same attitude. Also with those living in de facto relationships and other ungodly lifestyles. It is often harder to love and make conversation than to walk away but we have to face it and deal with it as becomes the people of God.
    These abominations were actually death penalty sins in the Old Testament. We should never downplay the wickedness of them, even in this age where it is so acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many 'gays' are nice folks. But the force of this post is correct. "Go and sin no more", Jesus said to the woman caught in adultery.

    We have had gay people, and sit;; do have gay people in our congregation. They are welcome. But the minute they want us to affirm or advocate their sin, they will be asked to leave. This did happen several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is reasonable, Steve. We must not affirm their sin, but affirm them as people. Blessings!

      Delete
  8. I have to admit, when I saw the direction of your post, I had a sharp intake of breath wondering how I was going to comment. But you handled it well. Indeed, we are to love the sinner not the sin. Praying you made an impression on these two men.

    Mary Beth @newlifesteward

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did tell them that God loved them, they didn't seem to be convinced. It is sad...

      Delete
  9. May we as Christ followers have wisdom to bear his message of truth and share his unconditional love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is true to love the sinnner and hate the sin. This was well written. We must also be aware that Satan is a master deceiver and Liar. He can even deceive us to draw a very fine line between the sinner and sin and almost having us accept the sin along with the person. He can make anything look good to try to change our minds on something that God will never change his mind on. God knows what is best for everyone and knows that sin will destroy us and come between our relationship with him. He is the same today, tomorrow and yesterday. The outcome of sin is death and destruction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, we must be aware that homosexuality is sin... no matter how nice the people are. That is why I will never agree to same sex marriage... that would be affirming their sinful lifestyle.

      Delete
  11. Good post - totally agree - it is not our place to judge - only to love

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you and I agree with the comments AmberRay made in her comment above. I think it is easy to go over that line and not only accept the sinner but the sin as well. It is sad that so many do not see it as a sin at all when the Bible is so clear about it. Thank you for sharing your insight.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I will never agree to same sex marriage... that would be affirming their sinful lifestyle. Blessings, Glenys

      Delete
  13. Thank you so much for this post. That's exactly how I feel. I just could never put it in the proper wording. Thank you for your honesty and pure heart !! Much love and blessings sent to you and your family. Love, Kait from Birmingham,AL,USA

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for your wise and kind words. Because my husband and I were single for a long time before we met, we each encountered many homosexuals. Sadly, most of them were victims of childhood molestation. My soul weeps for the agony they have felt as they search for love and acceptance. Only Jesus' love satisfies. Only He can heal.
    Blessings,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People often don't see the human side of homosexuality... the need behind the reason. Just because we don't agree with the sin doesn't mean we hate the person. Thank you for your compassion and for taking the time to comment. Blessings, Glenys

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...