Pages

Sunday, 23 October 2016

I AM A WIFE!


I think there is a time in everyone's life where they look at their achievements, failures and progress and wonder just where they stand in the scheme of things.

Recently when feeling tired from moving and recovering from a bad bout of pneumonia, I felt that I hadn't done much with my life. I had just celebrated my 63rd birthday and knowing that I was closer to 65 than 55, I found myself feeling despondent. It comes with the territory of being almost through menopause and getting over a debilitating illness, I guess...

Chris and I were in bed talking and I mentioned this to him. He was aghast when I told him that I felt that I was nothing much to my children, that I have never done most of the things I dreamed of doing when I was much younger and healthier. Life hadn't really turned out the way I thought it would at nearly 64 years of age.

Taking me in his arms with the lamplight shining on his glistening eyes, he told me that I was very special to him. He told me that in his opinion, I was a wonderful mother to mine and his children, and that it was their choice if they didn't appreciate me.

I told him that most of my plans for my life hadn't eventuated and I now had no future to be excited about.... and then I was floored with the truth.... Chris told me that I was exactly where God intended me to be, and that I was worth far more than what my tired mind and body told me. He told me that my future was unfolding as it should and he was glad that I was there beside him. I said is that all to my life..

His answer was, "You are my wife!"

.... A wife... Something I had wanted to be since I was a child.... Someone held in great esteem by a loving man... A woman cloaked in the Love of a man proud to be called Husband... A woman pleased to help her man in any way.... Forever....

What a future! What worth! I praise the LORD for making me a wife.....  marriage is honourable in all, and it is all I need to be!



© Glenys Robyn Hicks

Marriage [is] honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge. Hebrews 13:4

23 comments:

  1. Glenys I can identify with what you've written here.
    Far too often, we under-estimate our true worth while being blinded by what we *think* we should be to gain status of some kind.
    Your hubby is right.
    You are precious to him and the Lord and many others.
    Whether you feel like it or not :-)
    And to be a good man's wife - oh yes! - it's wonderful, isn't it?!
    Have a blesssed day in Jesus.
    love..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenys,

    Oh, you have stated feelings that my own heart has echoed through my sad days. The best thing I've ever heard (and I SO very much wish that I could remember where or who I'd heard it from, doggone fibro plays havoc with my memory) is to take whatever it is that your mind is saying and end it with Jesus says. It's an easy way to perk me right up and now that I'm playing old, ugly mind tapes.

    For example, "I've been a horrible mother, must have been, since 3 of our 4 children so rarely have anything to do with us, says Jesus"

    Right away, I know that thought isn't from Jesus, and it, for me at least, makes it easier to re-route my thought process.

    Anyway, I hope this helps you as it has me.

    Love,

    Judi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judi, that is so profound yet it is simple... I am going to use that. It goes along the lines of taking every thought into captivity of Jesus.... I love it. thank you, my friend! Blessings!

      Delete
  3. As I read this, I thought about myself, and how much I could relate to the words. Sometimes, as a stay-at-home-wife and Homemaker, I don't feel I "amount to much" sometimes (those days when I'm feeling down). When this happens, my husband's response is similar to your husbands, as he tells me, "You are my wife, and your purpose is to be with me and help me." He reminds me of this often, as I tend to "forget." Silly me!

    Anyway, it was good to read this. At least I know that I am not alone sometimes with these feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when we are down we lose sight of positive things about life and ourself.. Luckily, we are blessed to have sensible loving husbands... Blessings!

      Delete
  4. Whilst I have done some of the things I wanted to do, bring a wife and mother are the most important roles I have done. I love cuddling up to my husband at night, talking with him and creating a home for him, that's what's important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joluise, I agree. They are the most important roles in our life.. Blessings!

      Delete
  5. It is so good to read that I am not alone in the thoughts and feelings you described. And a also a blessing to read that there are others like us out there. At 57, with health challenges and low energy, I have a difficult time accomplishing a trip to the grocery store let alone do something of significance. Most days I feel like I am nothing more than a heavy weight around my husband's neck, dragging him down. I love the feeling of finishing something and doing it well. I think...it seems like such a long time since that has happened.
    Thank you for your insights and honesty.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, we are both humming to the same song.... feeling like I was dragging Chris down was a big part of my depression... but I am sure our husbands love us anyway... We are blessed!

      Delete
  6. Hi Glenys,
    I can so relate to what you say. I will be 70 next week and over the years have asked myself the same questions you're asking.
    Being a Wife is special. When we do our bits and pieces for our family despite our limitations,we honour our Husband, our Family and God.
    I was given a plaque for my birthday that says...........

    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
    It's about learning to dance in the rain.

    I have storms of self-doubt....among other storms..and I'm learning to dance..
    Come Dance with me
    God Bless
    Barb from Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing a cuppa with me today, Barb... I love that verse too. I will come dancing with you! Blessings!

      Delete
  7. This is such a beautiful, honest post. Thank you for sharing it on NOBH.
    Love and God Bless,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  8. How beautiful! What a blessing your husband is for reminding you of your great calling as his wife. It brought tears to my eyes. I have had a lot of the same thoughts as you and I'm so thankful that you shared openly about this. It made me really think differently about my own life.

    God bless you - Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, that was one of those moments where the light is turned on and you see things in a brilliance that will stay with you forever- an epiphany if you will. I will never forget it. I wasn't sure if anyone would even comment... it was something that I felt was "bad" of me to feel... yet I shared it in the hope that others may just have felt like me at that time... I wasn't disappointed! :D
      Blessings, and thanks for sharing a cuppa with me.

      Delete
  9. Hi Glenys,

    I am so glad you have a husband, who cherishes you and values you for who you are...what a blessing! Thank you for encouraging me with your story. Linked up behind you at L.L. Barkat's... Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am very blessed! thanks for sharing a cuppa with me!

      Delete
  10. A very precious truth! Thanks for sharing from your heart in your low point. Thanks also for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glenys...I can relate to this as far as feeling unappreciated sometimes. Your husband put it in good perspective. If we are where God wants us then we have nothing to feel regret over, even if we don't always feel appreciated or accomplished. God sees and He reminded you through your husband's words that you are accomplished. Thank you for sharing at WJIM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are spot on, Naomi! What Chris said to me will always stay with me! Blessings!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...