Pages

Friday, 4 November 2016

LETTER TO A GRANDMOTHER


I always felt that my grandchildren were my children- not in the sense that I am their 'mother', but in that they were a blessing from God passed on to me from my children. It is my job, (I feel), to be there to advise my children if they ask me about child rearing and to be there for the grandchildren if it is required by their parents or if the grandchildren request it of me. I am extremely careful not to undermine or usurp the important 'law of the mother' or authority of the father. But I do so enjoy being a part of their life and feel blessed by the LORD to have that privilege. "Do not forsake the law of your mother!" Proverbs 1:8

Last week I was baby sitting my youngest (to date) grandchild and  I will be needed each week day for my youngest daughter again for at least 2 weeks if I am able. My husband and I baby sit his daughter’s 3 children too when needed and we love it. We treat all our grandchildren (both by blood and by marriage) as our own. 

I believe my grandchildren are my children. All that I do for my children, I, likewise, do for my grandchildren. This teaching is from the book of Proverbs where a wise woman builds her house. The building continues on, even long after she has left this earth. For it is not built with human hands, but by the Hands of God Himself. (Genesis 46:15, 18, 22, 25 & Exodus 10:2)

Now the scriptures telling me that my grandchildren are my children are: "These are the sons of Rachel, who were born to Jacob, there were fourteen persons in all." Genesis 46:22 (Genesis 46:15, 18, 25) (Genesis 46:26 - all the persons were Jacob's direct descendants, grandchildren included) (Genesis 48:5) (Leviticus 18:19) (Exodus 31:2 )- Names the father and the grandfather with the son) Rachel only gave birth to two sons: Joseph and Benjamin. But Scripture records her as having fourteen sons! That is because all her grandchildren were considered her children as well. 

The neighbours said to Ruth when her first grandson was born: "And the neighbour women gave him a name, saying, 'A son has been born to Naomi!' So they named him Obed. He is the father of Jesse, the father of David." Ruth 4:17 

Naomi had her first grandson, but the neighbour women called him her son. Lois and Eunice worked together as a team raising Timothy. Ruth and Naomi raised Obed and were part of the raising of King David, his great grandson. Jacob said to Joseph, "And now your two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh, who were born to you in the land of Egypt before I came to you in Egypt, are mine; as Reuben and Simeon, they shall be mine." Genesis 48:5 … "as Reuben and Simeon, they shall be mine." This means Jacob's grandsons are just as his sons! Wise women realise that their grandchildren are their children, too.

Isn’t God so very very good! Yes, life is busy with children and grandchildren….but I wouldn’t have it any other way. 



© Glenys Robyn Hicks as thoughts from an article by Laine Amacavizca of Laines Letters

15 comments:

  1. Children are a treasure straight from God's heart, I love children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fitting a reminder this post is for me, Glenys! I shall treasure it for its content AND its timing :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog and for sharing our happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love being a Nana! We are still basking in our 13th grandchild's arrival 11 weeks ago! Every one of them brings its own joy! I am addicted to being a grandmother! LOL Blessings to you and thanks for taking tea with me today!

      Delete
  3. I had a hard time reading this one friend. My parents are too tired from raising my nephews to help us and my husbands mom isn't a believer and would rather give money then time. I am so tired and in need of a vested older person in my kids lives. He gives us what we need though, I guess I don't need this but I wish I would stop wanting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a hard place to be, Court! Do you have anyone from your church who could become an adoptive grandparent? they have such schemes over here in Australia! You can well imagine that there are lonely older Christians who also love children! Maybe ask around? Blessings!

      Delete
    2. Hugs to Court. In Isaiah we are told, "He gently leads those with young." Please God, he brings you that older woman sometime soon!
      I am dotty about my grandies too, Glenys!

      Delete
    3. That was a lovely verse for Court, Ruby! I love talking to other grandmothers who love their grandies!

      Delete
  4. Oh, it gets better with great-grands! You get to see their parents grow up, and see your children in the roll of grandparents. Every once in a while you get to be at church four generations strong. That puts my in a prayer mode of unmatched thanks giving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phyllis, I am so looking forward to that! You are blessed!

      Delete
  5. How blessed your family is to have you! So many grandparents try for a "do-over", to parent again, sometimes in place of and against their childrens wishes. This causes such friction in the family! I have been so blessed with my mother in law and my mom. They are both wonderful, caring, involved grandparents, but have always been so graceful about deferring to us as the parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good that you have those two precious women in your life, Kim! you are blessed!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! The greatest joys in my life are my children and grandchildren. The greatest blessing, being able to spend time with them. Beautifully, scripturally, perfectly written. Thank you for sharing on NOBH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 13 grandchildren so far... ranging in age from 20 to 3 months... I am greedy, I know, but I am praying for more... some haven't married yet, so it's possible! Blessings and thanks for taking tea with me today!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...